Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Battling “Mount Sugar”

The roundup had begun; the mound of delectable truffles, chocolates, cookies, and popcorn was just sitting there in the middle of the table before us all. We sat eyeballing it as we tried to get pumped up for the Live Healthy 100 Day Challenge. “Mount Sugar” beckoned to tempt us into sabotaging our firm resolve to lose weight and get in shape.

“I am having such a hard time losing weight. Back in the day, the Atkins diet worked for me and the pounds dropped off.”

“I hear you! Since I went into menopause, the weight started coming on, even though I was cutting down on what I ate and increasing my exercise.”

“Well, I hate diets! I do not want to go on another diet. I love to eat---and all the wrong stuff!”

“Me too! I really love to eat!”

“I think I’ll eat my black-eyed peas.”

“Oh that’s good. Those are high in fiber and a lower glycemic index food.”

“Are they?”

“Yes! Hey, I’ll see if I can find you a list of the GI index. Something I have been trying: 1 2/3 tsp of safflower oil per day….there’s a study out from Ohio State University done by Martha Belury, a professor of nutrition, that showed that the participants lost 2.6 -4.2 lbs of trunk fat while gaining on average about 1.4 -3 lbs of muscle. I’ll print out the article for you too!”

Lunch time around “Mount Sugar” proved to be filled with valuable tidbits to get us all on track with our intentions to follow through with the Live Healthy 100 Day Challenge.

Some of the other things we came up with were:

1. Drink chicken, beef, or vegetable broth or have hot tea….something without the calories that is warm and filling before eating a meal or in between meals.

2. Eat foods high in fiber. New research (The Journal of Nutrition March 2009) shows that for every gram of fiber intake increased, there was a half pound decrease in fat. Many Americans are not meeting the daily recommended 25 to 35 grams of fiber per day; instead most Americans consume about 10-15 grams daily. Ways for people to increase their intake of fiber is to eat plenty of fiber-rich foods. Some good ones to recommend: whole grain cereals, avocados, artichokes, lentils, and raspberries.

3. Snack on low calorie, low carbohydrate vegetables throughout the day and with meals. This would include grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, raw green beans (one of my co-workers does this on a regular basis).

4. Move! Take every opportunity that shows itself. Take the stairs, go pick up papers and reports, go talk to that co-worker across the way rather than using the phone. Every little bit helps!

I’m sure there are many more conversations to come during this fitness challenge. Check back and we’ll share more tips as we complete the challenge. Hopefully there will be great success for all who participate. To your health!

Leslie Crawford, RDLD
Diabetes educator and nutrition counselor
Texas Health HEB

No comments:

Post a Comment