Thursday, February 4, 2010

Musings from observing a minimally invasive surgery

I’ve been blessed with relatively good health. Sure, I have a few minor complaints, but nothing chronic that I can’t handle. So my jaw about hit the floor this morning when I met with a patient going through her pre-op paperwork at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Hurst-Euless-Bedford.

Kathrin Davis had been living with a sinus infection for FIVE MONTHS. I can’t even imagine. I’ve had sinus problems before (who hasn’t?) and I know I get whiney if my symptoms last more than a week. Luckily, at 42-years-old, she realized she didn’t want to live like that and persisted in seeking a more permanent treatment than a continuous supply of antibiotics.

She’s not alone. Sinusitis is more common than heart disease and asthma and affects more than 37 million people each year. It’s estimated that 20 percent of people with chronic sinus issues don’t respond to medications. That’s a lot of people not finding quick relief.

This morning she underwent a minimally invasive procedure called Balloon Sinuplasty. Dr. Tim Ragsdale, an ENT on the medical staff at Texas Health HEB performed the surgery, which gained FDA approval in 2005.


In years past, chronic sinusitis sufferers have faced a daunting surgery that involved removing bone and tissue to get to the root of the problem. Now with a minimally invasive surgery technique doctors can use a tiny tube and balloon (hence the name) to expand the nasal passages, irrigate the sinuses and clear them out so to speak. The whole process took less than an hour and a half. She was expected to go home within hours and should have minimal bleeding or pain.

People with sinus problems tend to be more predisposed to have infections regardless of the treatments, but Dr. Ragsdale says that for patients who undergo this procedure the infections are less frequent, less severe and respond better to antibiotics.

The experience left me, as a bystander with no medical training whatsoever aside from some faithful years watching ER and Grey’s Anatomy, in awe of the technology. To be able to fix a problem that affects a person’s entire life without having to make a single cut is pretty amazing. Makes me wonder where we’ll be in another decade of medical advances.

Jennifer Erickson
Sr. Public Relations Specialist
Texas Health HEB

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer. Thank you so much for posting this. It is great to hear that the word is spreading regarding the balloon sinuplasty procedure. As you mentioned there used to be no other choice than surgery and having a less invasive option is good nes.

    And you also hit the nail on the head when you mentioned a "more permanent" solution than medication. In my opinion this should never be viewed as a "solution" at all.

    Thank you again and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete